The General Education Requirements
The General Education requirements at the University of Maryland:
students to different disciplines, improve
fundamental academic skills, and strengthen a commitment to using knowledge and abilities to better
themselves and others.
- Prepare students to participate fully in a changing world.
- Provide students with
breadth of knowledge and disciplinary diversity.
- Explore unfamiliar fields and to develop new intellectual
and professional passions.
- Engage students in traditional
disciplines, established interdisciplinary programs, and emergent
- Foster intellectual dexterity not only from mastering a broad range
of subjects, but also from understanding the many ways
knowledge is produced.
- Ensure that students have basic skills
in written and oral communication and also in mathematical
- Understand and employ
See the Summary Chart for an overview of the General Education requirements. More details can be found in each of the requirement sections.